This Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is impressive with lots of tasty ingredients and ground sausage. Making this low carb egg roll in a bowl couldn’t be any easier either. In under 20 minutes, you can be digging into this incredible egg roll in a bowl keto dish that everyone is going to go crazy for. Say goodbye to traditional egg rolls and enjoy this vibrant bowl of goodness instead.
Before I started eating low carb, I used to head out to our local Chinese restaurant and fill up on egg rolls. I can’t help it! The fried breading filled with sausage and veggies is unforgettable. Once I began eating keto, I was bound and determined to create such a dish, but without all those dreaded and heavy carbs.
Y’all! I did it! It’s perfection and tastes way better than what I used to buy already made. There is without a doubt that I am infatuated with this egg roll in a bowl, and you will be too.
There is no worry about this meal being filled with carbs. All of the ingredients are low carb and idea for a keto diet. One thing about it, these ingredients are DELICIOUS together! Whether you eat a full-on low carb diet or are just trying to cut back on carbs, you for sure need to taste this one. I will often make an extra-large batch and divide it into several food storage containers. Then I have an easy to grab lunch whenever I need it. Plus, it’s much easier to eat healthy when you have food within arms reach that is good for you. This keeps me motivated to stay on target.
Why is this Keto or Low-carb?
This egg roll in a bowl is keto because it’s only made with low carb ingredients. Traditional egg rolls are made with a wrapper that is fried in oil. My recipe doesn’t require any kind of wrapper, and it’s not fried at all. It’s filling because it’s got lots of good for you ingredients. There aren’t refined sugars or processed ingredients either. This keto egg roll in a bowl is as wholesome as you can get when it comes to egg rolls.
Does an egg roll have an egg in it?
While it’s unclear where egg rolls got their name from, they do not have eggs in them. We do not any kind of egg into our egg rolls. There are many egg roll wrappers that contain eggs in them, but there are also many that don’t. After doing some research online, I have found that there is no positive answer on where egg rolls got their name! Either way, two things are for sure! They are delicious and don’t contain eggs. So if you have an egg allergy, you don’t have to worry about this particular recipe. If you eat an actual egg roll, you will need to check and verify there aren’t eggs in it, though.
What kind of meat do I use?
This low carb egg roll in a bowl can be adjusted to use lots of kinds of meats. I typically use ground sausage because it makes it taste so similar to what I am used to. However, there are plenty of other options that would work too.
Ground chicken, shredded chicken, ground beef, and ground turkey all make suitable choices. It just needs to be small pieces of meat, so they are easier to eat. Since you are making this egg roll in a bowl instead of adding it to an egg roll wrapper, you could also use shredded steak too.
What is in egg roll in a bowl?
There are only nine ingredients in this egg roll in a bowl recipe. It tastes perfect when all of them are combined! Let’s take a peek at what you need to make this delectable dish.
- Ground sausage
- Olive oil
- Sesame oil
- Coleslaw mix
- Bean sprouts
- Soy sauce
- Ginger paste
- Minced garlic
- Chopped green onions for garnish
How to make keto egg roll in a bowl recipe
You’ll notice that most of the recipes on my blog are so simple. Eating keto allows you to make some of the most incredible foods you can ever taste but without tons and tons of steps. You’ll appreciate this process as you transition to this way of eating. Let’s take a peek at these steps needed to make this low carb egg roll in a bowl recipe.
1. Begin by heating the olive and sesame oils in a skillet. Use medium-high heat on the stove.
2. Sprinkle in the ground sausage to the skillet. Cooke until the ground sausage is completely browned.
3. Add in the minced garlic and ginger paste in the skillet> Saute for another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
4. Add the coleslaw mix, and the bean sprouts to the skillet along with the soy sauce. Turn down the heat to medium and cook until the coleslaw mix has softened to your liking.
5. Serve with chopped green onions for garnish if desired.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 1 lb. Ground sausage
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Sesame oil
- 12 oz. Coleslaw mix
- ½ C. Bean sprouts
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Ginger paste
- 2 tsp. Minced garlic
- Chopped green onions for garnish
Heat the olive and sesame oils in a skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.
Add the ground sausage to the skillet, and saute until completely browned.
Place the minced garlic and ginger paste in the skillet, and saute for another 30 seconds.
To the skillet, add the coleslaw mix and the bean sprouts in the skillet along with the soy sauce. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the coleslaw mix has softened to your liking.
Serve with chopped green onions for garnish if desired.
Looking for more tasty dinner options? Check out these recipes, and you will be so glad you did. Each one is perfect for a keto or low carb diet and tastes great too. Have a look:
- Keto Egg Foo Young – I am super excited for you to see and try this incredible dish. If you love egg foo young, then be sure to check it out. You could even serve this with the egg roll in a bowl too.
- Keto Lemon Herb Salmon Sheet Pan Meal – Sheet pan meals are perfect when you eat low carb (or anytime really). They give you an entire meal, and there is no need for side dishes. Win!
- Keto Italian Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf – Oh, you have never had meatloaf this amazing and decadent. Stuffing it with cheese takes it to a new level and will leave a lasting impression. You really need to taste it to understand how good it is.
- Keto Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche – The thing I love about quiche recipes is that you can pretty much eat them any time of day. Yum!