If you’re craving Chinese takeout, you’ll want to try this Keto Egg Foo Young recipe! It’s a keto takeout copycat recipe that’s quick and easy to make.
Whenever we order takeout, egg foo young is my go-to so coming up with this Keto Chicken Egg Foo Young was a no-brainer. Luckily, it didn’t take much to turn my favorite Chinese dish into an easy at-home keto dinner.
What is egg foo young? Egg Foo Young is a Chinese dish that is essentially an egg omelet, sometimes made with chicken, that is served with gravy.
The base of egg foo young is already mostly keto – it was just the gravy that I really needed to adjust, using xanthan gum as a thickener. Chances are you already have most of the ingredients you need for this keto chicken egg foo young in your fridge or pantry.
The egg pancakes are made with egg, chopped up chicken thighs, and vegetables. I used a chop suey vegetable mix but you can use individual vegetables as well. Chicken thighs work best in this keto egg foo young recipe, I find that chicken breasts dry out and don’t mesh as well with the other ingredients. Plus chicken thighs just have more flavor.
The keto egg foo young gravy is made with a base of beef broth and soy sauce. For a keto thickener, I used xanthan gum. Add a little bit at a time until the gravy reaches your desired thickness.
Honestly, this keto egg foo young tastes almost exactly like my favorite takeout. It’s perhaps the best keto copycat recipe I’ve ever made and if you served it to me in a takeout container, I may not even know the difference.
If you’ve never tried egg foo young, you’re in for a treat with this keto version!
How To Make Keto Egg Foo Young:
Step 1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 2. Add in sesame oil, onions, and chicken. Cook until onions begin to soften and chicken is cooked through. Let chicken cool.
Step 3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, chop suey vegetables, cabbage, sesame oil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper.
Step 4. Combine the two mixtures and mix well.
Step 5. Heat a deep-sided skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat.
Step 6. When the oil is hot, drop ¼ cup of egg mixture into the hot oil at a time. Flip each “pancake” 2 to 3 times while cooking.
Step 7. Once cooked and browned, remove egg pancakes and place them on a paper towel to absorb the oil.
Step 8. Heat a different pan over medium-high heat.
Step 9. Add beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar substitute, sesame oil, and rice vinegar. Whisk to combine.
Step 10. Add in xantham gum slowly, whisking until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
Step 11. Serve keto egg foo young with the sauce.
What variations can I make to this Keto Egg Foo Young?
This is a pretty standard keto egg foo young recipe. If you’d like to make it vegetarian, add more eggs and take out the chicken. You can also play around with the vegetables you add and switch out the cut of chicken.
How can I store Keto Egg Foo Young?
While it tastes best fresh, you can store these keto egg pancakes in the fridge for a day or two and reheat in the microwave. I like to keep the gravy separate.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Keto Egg Foo Young
- 6 Eggs
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ c Onion chopped
- 1 c Shredded cabbage
- 1 c La Choy Chop Suey Vegetables well drained
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped scallion for garnish
- Keto-friendly oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1 c Beef broth
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tsp Swerve brown sugar substitute
- 1 ½ tsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- ½ -1 tsp Xanthan gum
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place ½ tsp of sesame oil in the skillet, and add in the chopped onion and chicken pieces. Cook for several minutes until the onions begin to soften, and the chicken is cooked through. Allow the chicken to cool down.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs, chop suey vegetables, cabbage, 1 tsp sesame oil, minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken mixture to the egg mixture, and combine well.
- Heat a deep sided skillet filled with cooking oil on the stove. You can use any keto friendly oil you wish, such as avocado or coconut.
- Once heated, drop ¼ c of the egg mixture into the oil at a time. You can cook 3-4 “pancakes” at a time. Flip the small egg pancakes 2-3 times with tongs while cooking.
- Once cooked through and browned, remove the egg pancakes, and place them on paper towel lined plates or a rack to allow the oil to drain.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Add 1 c beef broth, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 3 tsp Swerve brown sugar substitute, 1 tsp sesame oil and 1 ½ tsp of rice vinegar to the skillet. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly add in the xanthan gum a ¼ tsp at a time, whisking it in as you go. Allow the sauce to cook down a bit before adding more. Continue to add xanthan gum until your sauce reaches your desired thickness.
- Serve the Egg foo young with the accompanying sauce, and store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Don’t miss these other best keto recipes:
Keto White Chicken Chili – This White Chicken Chili is going to become one of your go-to keto chili recipes.
Keto Butter Cookies – Who doesn’t love butter cookies!
Keto Creamed Country Style Cabbage – This Creamed Country Style Cabbage is going to become your keto side dish for all occasions.