Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is the perfect easy, cheesy side dish to dinner any night of the week. Kid-approved too!
Keto mac and cheese was a dish I HAD to find a recipe for – my kids were convinced they just couldn’t live without their favorite meal. We tried out several recipes trying to find the perfect one and imagine my surprise when they chose this keto CAULIFLOWER mac and cheese over any other.
That’s right, folks, this recipe has my children ASKING me for vegetables. I feel like I won the lottery.
Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese essentially use the creamy cheese sauce you’d typically pour over macaroni and replaces the macaroni with cauliflower. It’s just as easy to make as traditional mac and cheese but MUCH healthier, both in cutting out the carbs and all of the health benefits of cauliflower.
The truth is that while this keto cauliflower and cheese has the same flavor as mac and cheese, you’ll never convince yourself that cauliflower is pasta. And that’s okay – just remember to go into trying the dish with the right expectations. With this keto side dish, it’s about FLAVOR, not texture, when comparing it to traditional mac and cheese.
The keto cheese sauce used in this recipe is made with a base of whipping cream, cream cheese, cheddar, and mozzarella cheeses. The result is a tasty, creamy, and cheesy sauce. The use of different cheeses adds to the flavor profile but you could substitute one of the other if necessary.
You can use this keto cheese sauce in other recipes too – maybe keto broccoli and cheese instead of cauliflower and cheese or over a different keto pasta substitute.
I enjoy serving keto mac and cheese as a side dish at dinner time, especially with a nice steak off the grill. That said, keto cauliflower mac and cheese also makes a tasty keto vegetarian lunch or dinner.
We do occasionally eat this as a meal ourselves – but I can’t say we keep it vegetarian as I like to mix in some bacon for extra flavor and protein when serving as a meal.
How To Make Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese:
Step 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2. Cut the cauliflower into florets and cook until a crisp-tender. This should take 5 minutes boiling or steaming the cauliflower.
Step 3. Strain the cauliflower and place in a greased baking dish. Salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4. Bring heavy whipping cream to a low simmering boil over medium-high heat.
Step 5. Add in onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 6. Add in cream cheese and stir until completely combined.
Step 7. Stir in cheddar cheese.
Step 8. Add in mozzarella cheese and stir until the mixture is smooth and thick.
Step 9. Pour the cheese mixture into the baking dish. Stir to coat cauliflower.
Step 10. Sprinkle ¼ cup of parmesan on top.
Step 11. Bake for 15-20 minutes. If you want to brown the top, turn on the broiler for the last few minutes.
Step 12. Serve and enjoy!
What additions can I make to this Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese?
Bacon makes a great addition to this keto mac and cheese, as does garlic if you’re a garlic lover like me. To spicy it up a bit, add in a splash of Frank’s hot sauce for keto buffalo cauliflower mac and cheese or some cayenne pepper.
Can I use frozen cauliflower?
Yes! Just don’t boil for quite as long and expect the final result to be softer.
How should I serve Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese?
Serve this keto side dish warm out of the oven! I like to serve this as a side dish to a protein, like a steak or chicken, or with a salad. Even though it’s technically a vegetable, it feels like eating carbs so eating with a salad doesn’t seem like too much!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 1 Large head of cauliflower
- 1 c. Heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz. Cream cheese
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 c. Cheddar cheese
- ½ c. Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the head of cauliflower into florets, and steam or boil until they are a crisp tender. This process will take about 5 minutes.
- Strain the cauliflower completely, and place it into a greased baking dish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, and bring it to a low simmering boil.
- Whisk in the garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in 3 ounces of cream cheese. Stir until it is completely incorporated and smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle in ½ cup of mozzarella cheese. Stir the cheese sauce until it thickens and is smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over top of the cauliflower in the baking dish. Stir to coat the cauliflower well.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese on top of the cauliflower.
- Bake the cauliflower for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is browned on top and bubbly. You can turn the broiler on for the last few minutes if you want a more browned appearance on the top of your mac and cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g
Don’t Miss These Other Keto Side Dish recipes:
- Keto Garlic Cheddar Biscuits – Low Carb Keto Garlic Biscuits are so easy to make. I love to make extra and warm them up again the next day or even freeze them. And since they’re keto, I don’t feel guilty if I indulge with more than one.
- Keto Brussel Sprouts – Add pecans and butter to anything and you are sure to love the results.
- Keto Pigs in a Blanket – This Keto Pigs in a Blanket will surely be a hit with your family and friends and a quick fun snack at any time of the day.