Depends on where you come from “Pigs in a Blanket” may mean different things. For example, in England, they wrap the sausage in Bacon. In the US the term “Pigs in a Blanket” is typical hotdogs wrapped in croissant rolls. I have even seen sausage wrapped in a pancake considered Pigs in a Blanket. But no matter where you are from and what you consider Pigs in a Blanket, they are usually a crowd favorite.
This Keto Pigs in a Blanket will surely be a hit with your family and friends and a quick fun snack at any time of the day. When you need a quick meal or appetizer for any special event, these Keto Pigs in a Blanket will be a go-to for sure. The best part of this recipe, your family and friends will not know they are low carb because they taste so good.
Your kids will never complain when you give them these Pigs in a Blanket! What kid doesn’t love a hotdog rolled in love. They can easily be dressed up to be a classier appetizer a variety of dipping sauces.
How to Make Keto Pigs in a Blanket:
Step One: Set your oven at 400 degrees
Step Two: Melt the shredded Mozzarella in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave at 30-second intervals – be sure to not overheat the cheese – it will get dry and crispy if you overheat it. It should remain together and moldable.
Step Three: Combine together almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and garlic powder in a small mixing bowl.
Step Four: Add the softened butter to the melted cheese and mix together before adding other ingredients – it will not totally combine.
Step Five: Stir in half the dry ingredients and mix well until combined – you may have to add the mixture back into the microwave for another 30 seconds to make it easier to work with if it begins to harden – you may combine it with your hands if cool enough.
Step Six: Add ½ TBSP of heavy whipping cream to the mixture and add the remaining ingredients from your mixing bowl. Knead the dough to combine everything well. You may also put the mixture back in the microwave for 30 seconds if the mixture is too hard to work with. If necessary, you can add a very small amount of the heavy whipping cream. Just add a small amount at a time.
Step Seven: When all the ingredients are mixed well to the dough, place it on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Using the second sheet of wax paper, place it on top of the dough and use a rolling pin or your hands to flatten the dough to ¼ or ½ inch thick.
Step Eight: Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the dough in 8 long strips – one inch wide.
Step Nine: Then wrap the strips of dough around each hot dog in a spiral motion. The dough may be stiff, and you may have to squeeze the dough around the hot dog if need be. It will rise during the baking process.
Step ten: Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake them for 15 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Serve with your favorite condiments!
Can I Use Other Kinds of Meats for these Keto Pigs in a Blanket?
You can use any kind of Keto-Friendly sausage or hot dogs you like. Some of my favorites are Vienna sausages and chicken hotdogs.
How Long Can I Store These Keto Pigs in a Blanket?
You can store these Pigs in a Blanket for up to one month in the freezer or 3-5 days in the refrigerator. I love to make enough for the week and the kids have after school snacks.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Keto Pigs in a Blanket
- ● 8 Keto friendly all beef hot dogs with no sugar added
- ● 5 oz. Shredded mozzarella
- ● ½ c. Almond flour
- ● ¼ c. Coconut flour
- ● 1 tsp. Xanthan gum
- ● 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- ● 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- ● 2 tbsp. Softened butter
- ● ½ tbsp. Heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the shredded mozzarella in a microwave safe bowl and heat it for 30 second intervals until it is completely melted and mouldable. You do not want to overheat it, as it will become dried out and crispy. Just heat it enough to meld it together and make it pliable.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and garlic powder. Mix the ingredients together well.
- Pour the melted butter into the bowl with the melted cheese, and mix it together. It will not completely combine, but you want to mix them together a bit before adding the dry ingredients.
- Add in half of the dry mixture, and stir to combine the ingredients well. You can place the cheese mixture back into the microwave for 30 second intervals to make it more pliable if it begins to harden up. If it is cool enough, you can knead it with your hands.
- Mix in ½ tbsp of heavy whipping cream.
- Pour in the remaining dry ingredients, and knead the dough to completely incorporate them into it. Again, you can return the mixture to the microwave for 30 seconds at a time to loosen the mixture up if needed. If you find that your dough is just too stiff, you can add a bit more heavy whipping cream to it, but just add a tad at a time.
- Once combined, pour the dough out in the center of a wax paper lined baking sheet. Place another sheet of wax paper on top of the dough, and use a rolling pin or your hands to flatten the dough until it is about ¼-½ an inch thick.
- Slice the dough into 8 long strips about an inch wide with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
- Wrap a strip of dough around each hot dog in a spiral design. The dough may be a little stiff at this point, but don’t worry, it will rise up around the hot dogs once in the oven, just squeeze the dough around the hot dog if needed.
- Bake the pigs in a blanket for 15 minutes until the bread has turned a beautiful golden brown.