Bite into summer with delicious Keto Strawberry Shortcake!
After an unusually long winter (am I the only one who feels this way?), summer is FINALLY on its way. We’re currently in the transition period between spring and summer – I’m trying to make summer speed up so, naturally, my kitchen has been full of all kinds of keto summer dessert recipes that I’ve been testing.
The best keto summer dessert so far? This Keto Strawberry Shortcake.
Keto Strawberry Shortcake is a play on traditional strawberry shortcake which is typically made with a base of poundcake, which is not keto-friendly.
Keto Strawberry Shortcake is actually made with just a handful of ingredients, most of which you’ll likely have in the cupboard if you frequently bake keto desserts. The keto poundcake replacement is made with almond flour, erythritol, xantham gum, baking powder, egg, and vanilla.
The best time to make this Keto Strawberry Shortcake is during strawberry season. While you CAN make this recipe with frozen strawberries it feels almost like a sin to do so. Keto Strawberry Shortcake just tastes better with freshly picked berries.
The portion of this recipe is just perfect for 3 personal-sized keto desserts, though I should warn you that there’s a high probability of you wanting to keep them all for yourself.
How To Make Keto Strawberry Shortcake:
Step 1. Begin by preheating over to 350 degrees
Step 2. Mix almond flour and Erythritol in a bowl with baking powder and xantham gum.
Step 3. Stir in beaten egg and vanilla. Let the mixture sit for one minute.
Step 4. Pour the batter into a greased ramekin and bake for 15-20 min
Step 5. In a separate bowl, mash strawberries and Erythritol into a thick sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Step 6. Remove cake to a cooling rack for 30 min
Step 7. Mix heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add in Erythritol
Step 8. Slice cake into thirds
Step 9. Top each with the strawberry mixture and several dollops of the whipped cream
How Should I Serve Keto Strawberry Shortcake?
Keto Strawberry Shortcake is best served after the cake portion cools but is still warm. I like to bake it just before dinner so that it’s fresh but still cool when it’s time for dessert.
What Variations Can I Make to Keto Strawberry Shortcake?
This is the only variation I’ve tried and I would not recommend adjusting the ingredients too much, though you can switch out the sweetener to Sverve in the final step. You could also adjust this to use different berries instead of strawberries.
How Should I Serve This Keto Strawberry Shortcake?
While this keto summer dessert is best when served immediately, you can store it for up to 2 or 3 days. Keep the cake in an airtight container at room temperature and the strawberry topping in the fridge. The whipped cream is best made right before serving.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Keto Strawberry Shortcake
- 3 tbsp. Almond flour
- 5 tbsp. Erythritol divided
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Xanthan Gum
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 c. Sliced strawberries
- ¼ c. Heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add 3 tablespoons of almond flour and 2 tablespoons of Erythritol.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum. Stir to combine the dry ingredients well.
- Stir in 1 beaten egg.
- Pour in 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk the mixture together until all of the ingredients are well incorporated. Let the mixture rest for 1 minute.
- Grease the inside of a ramekin, and pour the batter inside.
- Bake the mixture for 15-20 minutes until the top is browned and a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- Add 1 cup of sliced strawberries to a large bowl.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of Erythritol.
- Use a potato masher or a food processor to mash the strawberry pieces into a thick sauce. Place the strawberry sauce in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a cooling rack for about 30 minutes.
- Place ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream into a mixing bowl, and mix on high until it forms soft peaks. Mix in 1-2 tablespoons of Erythritol. If you are worried about the crystals of sweetener not dissolving completely in the whipping cream, you can use something like the Swerve powdered sugar as an alternative for a smoother finish. Mix the whipping cream on high again until it reaches a consistency for whipped cream that you are happy with. Be careful not to over whip it, or you will begin to make butter.
- Remove the cake from the ramekin and slice into thirds.
- Top each serving of cake with an equal amount of the strawberry sauce and several dollops of whipped cream.
Keto Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake – It’s time to indulge in this incredible Keto Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake!
Keto Peanut Butter Eggs – These incredible Keto Peanut Butter Eggs are what you have been waiting for. They are simple to make, filled with low carb peanut butter and are dipped in chocolate.
Keto Blueberry Almond Chia Seed Pudding – An easy, make-ahead breakfast that’s high in both nutrients and flavor. An ideal keto breakfast for those on-the-go mornings!
Keto Pumpkin Pie – Keto Pumpkin Pie turns your favorite holiday pie into a keto-friendly dessert you can enjoy year-round!