There is nothing like classic creole cooking and this Keto Creole Shrimp recipe is one of the classic Louisiana staples. The combination of creole spices and fresh shrimp will make every dinner guest just squeal with delight at your dinner table. This Keto Shrimp dish can be made as spicy as you like it to be or you can make it on the mild side for the little ones at your dinner table.
Keto Creole Shrimp is so quick and easy to prepare, and your family will absolutely love it and sing your praises. This dish can be quickly prepared for dinner or Sunday brunch. It will be easy to keep to your low carb keto diet with recipes like this Creole Shrimp recipe. Your family will ask for this dish repeatedly. The best part is that it is surprisingly easy to make, despite looking like a fancy dish.
The vegetable base for this creole sauce and the spice combination will give you a full body of flavor for this shrimp dish that will satisfy even the pickiest of palettes. This dish will make you think you are in a southern Louisiana kitchen with your own professional chef. It is a classic dish you can serve anytime of the year or for any occasion.
How To Make Keto Creole Shrimp:
Step One: Add the butter to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
Step Two: Add onions and celery to the heated butter in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they get tender
Step Three: Combine in a small mixing bowl paprika, onion, powder, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Mix together the dry ingredients while the onion and celery mixture cooks in the skillet.
Step Four: Add to the skillet with the onions and celery, the yellow and green bell peppers and cook and additional 2-3 minutes
Step Five: While you continue to cook the vegetables in the skillet, add 1 ¼ cup of bone broth and sprinkle half the dry ingredient spice mixture from the mixing bowl to the skillet. Stir the spices into the mixture continuing to cook down the vegetable and broth bringing it to a low boil.
Step Six: Stirring the mixture, cook the vegetable and broth until most of the broth has been absorbed.
Step Seven: In a separate skillet heat 1 TBSP of oil over medium-high heat, while the vegetables continue to cook in the other skillet.
Step Eight: Layer the shrimp in the skillet (single layer at a time) with the oil and sprinkle with the remaining spice mixture adding salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Depending on the size of your skillet you may need to cook the shrimp in batches.
Step Nine: Set Shrimp aside to keep warm when finished cooking.
Step Ten: Add 2 cups of diced tomatoes, 1 TBSP of carb-free Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tsp of hot sauce (optional to add spice to your dish) to the reduced bone broth and veggie mixture in the first skillet and stir to combine. Continue to cook down for 5 more minutes.
Step Eleven: Place the shrimp into the skillet with the sauce and simmer over low heat for an additional 2-3 minutes
Place shrimp over a bed of freshly steamed cauliflower rice! Enjoy!
What Type of Shrimp Are Best In This Keto Creole Shrimp Recipe?
For best results in the Keto Shrimp recipe, serve it with fresh wild-caught gulf shrimp. If you do not have ready access to fresh wild-caught shrimp, you can also serve it with Individually Quick Frozen wild-caught gulf shrimp. I would not recommend substituting pre-cooked shrimp in this recipe. The flavor will not be the same.
How Long Can I Store This Creole Shrimp Dish?
Keto Creole Shrimp can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze this recipe for up to one month in air-tight individually portioned container.
Are There Other Variations I Can Do To This Keto Creole Shrimp Recipe?
Yes, you can add additional vegetables to this dish while reducing the broth such as okra or zucchini. To kick this recipe up to a whole new level, you can add chorizo or andouille sausage to this dish.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Keto Creole Shrimp
- 2 lbs. Medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 tbsp. Butter unsalted
- 1 Small onion chopped
- 2 Stalks of celery chopped
- ½ Yellow bell pepper chopped
- ½ Green bell pepper chopped
- 4 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Thyme
- ½ tsp. Oregano
- Dash of Cayenne pepper
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 ¼ c. Bone broth
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce carb-free
- 1 tsp. Hot sauce optional
- 2 c. Diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the skillet gets hot, add in the chopped onions and celery. Cook them for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- While the onions and celery cook and soften, add the paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, oregano and cayenne pepper to a small bowl, and stir to combine.
- Toss the yellow and green bell peppers into the skillet with the other vegetables, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of bone broth and half of the created spice mixture to the skillet with the vegetables, and bring to a low boil. Continue to stir and cook down the vegetables until most of the broth has been absorbed.
- While the broth is reducing in the skillet with the vegetables, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in another skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the skillet, and cook in a single layer. Sprinkle with the other half of the spice mixture, and add salt and pepper to taste. You may have to cook the shrimp in a few different batches if your skillet is not large enough.
- Once the shrimp is cooked, set it aside to keep warm.
- When most of the bone broth has been absorbed by the vegetables, mix in 2 cups of diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of carb free worcestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon of hot sauce if you wish to add some spice to the dish. Stir to combine, and cook down for 5 minutes.
- Toss the shrimp in the sauce mixture, simmer over low heat for another 2-3 minutes, and then serve over freshly steamed cauliflower rice.
Don’t miss these other best keto recipes:
Keto White Chicken Chili – This White Chicken Chili is going to become one of your go-to keto chili recipes.
Keto Butter Cookies – Who doesn’t love butter cookies!
Keto Creamed Country Style Cabbage – This Creamed Country Style Cabbage is going to become your keto side dish for all occasions.