When people think of low carb or a keto diet, rarely do they think that you can have treated such as this, keto orange-glazed scones. These tasty little treats are great for sitting down to breakfast with a cup of coffee or a special dessert treat after a filling keto meal. These orange-glazed scones are simple and satisfying whether going low carb or not. Your kids will love these delicious scones that they can grab on the run whether it is off to school or to a soccer game with friends.
Keto Orange Glazed Scones are a variation from the original scone recipes of the past. Scones origin is from the United Kingdom and used to be made mainly from wheat, barley, and/or oatmeal. Scones became very popular to sit down at breakfast or lunchtime with a cup of tea to discuss current events with friends. Today, scones can be spiced up so many ways. You can make them savory or sweet, depending on your taste buds. Whether you prefer round or pie wedge shape scones, you cannot deny they have become a go-to snack that all ages and ethnic backgrounds enjoy.
Depending on your family roots, you will fancy spicing your scones up in different ways such as adding a variety of fruits or spices. Whether you want to make traditional English scones and lightly sweeten them, or you want to add some cheese, onions, and bacon to make them a bit savory, you cannot deny that scones are a very versatile snack.
How To Make Keto Orange Glazed Scones:
Step One: Set your oven to 350 degrees to pre-heat
Step Two: Add 2 TBSP of melted butter and 2 TBSP of Swerve sugar substitute in a mixing bowl and combine until creamy.
Step Three: Add in the eggs to the butter and sugar substitute mixture and mix until combined well.
Step Four: Add the following to the mixture in the mixing bowl: Almond flour, vanilla extract, orange extract, cream of tartar, baking powder, a pinch of salt, and orange zest (1-2 tsp). Mix these ingredients together until well blended.
Step Five: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the dough mixture onto the baking sheet forming the dough into a flattened circle. Cut the scone dough into 6 equal triangles
Step Six: Bake the scones for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
Step Seven: Remove the scones from the oven and allow it to cool.
Step Eight: In a small mixing bowl, mix together 1 TBSP of butter, 3 TBSP of Swerve confectioner sugar substitute, and 2 TBSP of Unsweetened almond milk, making the glaze for the scones.
Step Nine: Dip the scones in the glaze mixture and set aside to dry for several minutes. You can dip the scones a second time to get a thicker glaze on your scones.
Step Ten: Top the scones with freshly grated orange zest and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can I Vary This Keto Orange Glazed Scone Recipe?
Yes, there are a lot of variations you can do to this scone recipe. Some of my favorite variations are to add cranberries to the existing recipe. This makes a great combination for your sweet tooth. You can also make this recipe to be savory by adding cheese and bacon instead of the orange extract and vanilla.
How Long Can I Store These Orange Glazed Scones?
You can store them for up to a week in the refrigerator or you can freeze them for up to a month. This gives you the option to pull them out and pack them in your kids’ school lunches or your own lunch. Make sure you store them in airtight containers whether refrigerating them or freezing them.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 3 tbsp Butter unsalted and divided
- 5 tbsp Swerve Confectioner Sugar Substitute divided
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp Orange extract
- 2 ¼ c Almond flour
- 1 tsp Cream of tartar
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp Almond milk unsweetened
- Orange zest to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 tbsp of the melted butter and 2 tbsp of the Swerve sugar substitute. Blend until creamy.
- Add in the eggs, and mix to combine well.
- Mix in the almond flour, vanilla extract, orange extract, cream of tartar, baking powder, a pinch of salt, and orange zest to taste (we used 1-2 tsp.) Blend until completely incorporated.
- Empty the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, and form it into a flattened circle.
- Cut the circle into 6 equal triangle shapes, and bake for 20 minutes.
- When the scones have finished baking and are cooled, prepare the glaze by mixing together 1 tbsp of butter, 3 tbsp of Swerve confectioner sugar substitute and 2 tbsp of Unsweetened almond milk. Dip the scones face down into the glaze, and allow to dry for several minutes. Repeat the process again to get a thicker glaze.
- Serve with some freshly grated orange zest on top immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Net Carbs: 4 per serving
Don’t miss these other keto posts:
- 15 Keto Snacks for Weight Loss – These are great to have on hand when temptation strikes so you can make a better choice. Here are 15 Keto snacks for weight loss.
- The Best On-The-Go Keto Snacks – Regardless of when you need one, these snacks are great to have on hand just in case. Here are the best on the go Keto snacks to have on hand.
- 20 Easy Keto Snacks – There are a ton of easy low prep snack options out there for those on a Keto diet. Here are 20 easy Keto snacks that will make weight loss easier.