I’m currently reading exactly five books. Some new, some reruns. I have a fervent policy to not reread a book lest it be a life-changing, worthwhile reread. I’m weird like that.
Is it just me, or is there less and less time to snuggle into a book? I plopped into bed nigh unto midnight last week and realized I hadn’t actually held a paper book in my hand for over a month. A MONTH! What sort of person allows a thirty-day stretch come between her an the musty smell of well-loved paperbacks? Apparently, I do. Boo.
So, with 20 days left before cookbook deadline (read: NOT the time to be making mid-year resolutions), I feel to make some mid-year resolutions. For one thing, I resolve to pick up a papery book and read from it everyday. Even if it’s just a paragraph. Even if it’s just a word. Even if I just pretend to skim the pages whilst I text Savor.
That’s where you come in. Once I get through these first five books, I need five more that are crazy-fab. Got a recommendation for a don’t-miss read? I’d love to hear.
- 1. How to Win Friends & Influence People, by Dale Carnegie (an absolute classic. The truest book I think I’ve ever read)
- 2. 1984, by George Orwell (New one for me. F.R.E.A.K.Y.)
- 3. The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin (I love people who think clever thoughts, then do something about them.)
- 4. The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom (Never anything less than inspiring)
- 5. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski (One of the most breathtaking chapters I’ve ever read is in this book. It was about a dog. Really. This author is phenomenal.)
- 6. ?
- 7. ?
- 8. ?
- 9. ?
- 10. ?
In exchange for your book brilliance, hows abouts I offer you this blessed little recipe, which is the perfect accompaniment to an afternoon of Spring reading. The only thing that would make such a trade more fair would be if we could all kick it together at a spontaneous afternoon Avocado & Book Party. There’s just never enough of those.
Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad
- 1 cup chicken breast cooked and shredded
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup black beans rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- ¼ cup tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup corn chips crushed
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt to taste
- 2-4 avocados sliced in half with pits discarded
- In a medium bowl, toss the chicken breast, corn, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and corn chips together.
- Add the vinegar and mayonnaise to mixture and toss to coat. Salt to taste.
- Spoon salad into halved avocados.
- Serve immediately with a spoon and fork.
Leave a Reply