This Friday marks The Great Chili Cookoff at church, and I’ve decided I’m totally breaking tradition. Instead of popping my head into the party with a big bowl of fiery red stuff, I’m going to waltz on in with a pretty pot full of white chicken chili.
Of course, with a pot such as that, and a recipe such as this, I’m going to have to do some serious outfit coordination. One can not walk into a church Chili Cook-Off with a bowl of white chili without making a statement.
I think my statement shall be, “white is the new red.”
That’s catchy, no? It sounds like the sort of thing you’d hear on a Superbowl commercial. It sounds like it’s got jingle potential. It sounds like the sort of statement that will get church ladies chittering.
Then again, it also sounds like the sort of statement that would see me wearing white after Labor Day. Uh-oh. I can’t very well make a statement that indicates my uber-fashion cluelessness.
And, anyway. Who wants to wear white shoes to any sort of party, when there are red shoes to be had?
That’s it. I’m officially changing my statement. It shall now be, “Eat your own dagummed chili.”
Because, now that I’m wearing my red shoes to the party, I’ve got enough attitude to admit.
I don’t plan on sharing a single bite.
- 2 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into small pieces
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 8-10 cloves roasted garlic (or 3 cloves of fresh garlic), chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilis
- 1 (15 ounce) can Northern beans
- 1 chicken breast, cooked & shredded
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup white corn
- ½ cup manchego cheese (or monterey jack), grated
- In a large pot, saute the bacon pieces until cooked (but not quite yet crispy).
- Add in the diced onions and garlic and cook with the bacon over medium high heat until the softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the green chilis, beans, and chicken then dump in the chicken broth.
- Stir over heat until the soup becomes very hot, but isn't quite boiling.
- Stir in the sour cream and corn.
- Continue stirring over medium-high heat until the cheese melts.
- Serve right away & enjoy!