Mashed potatoes are a classic comfort food, but they can get a little boring after a while. This shredded chicken gravy recipe is the perfect way to spice them up!
The gravy is made with shredded chicken, onions, and butter, and it’s absolutely delicious. You’ll love how easy it is to make this dish. Give it a try today!
Why do I love Shredded Chicken Gravy on Mashed Potatoes?
- Comfort food: Mashed potatoes and gravy are a classic comfort food combination. The flavor is comforting and familiar, perfect for a cozy night in.
- Versatile: This recipe can be adapted to suit your taste. Add extra herbs, spices, and vegetables to customize the flavor.
- Nutritious: The combination of potatoes and chicken is high in protein, making it a complete meal.
- Great for leftovers: The recipe makes plenty of servings, so there are always leftovers to enjoy the next day.
Shredded Chicken Gravy on Mashed Potatoes Variations
- Mushrooms, carrots, and even green beans can all work really well in this dish.
- You use different types of chicken like chicken wings or chicken breasts.
- If you want to make it a bit more indulgent, why not stir in some cream or cheese at the end of cooking?
What type of potatoes should be used?
You can use your favorite mashed potato recipe. They should be smooth and creamy, and free of lumps. It’s fine to add herbs, butter, and sour cream, or you can keep them pretty basic. It’s totally up to you.
What type of chicken is used for the recipe?
Whenever possible, use boneless, skinless chicken thighs and shred them. Thighs are fantastic because they are moist and tender due to their high-fat content.
If you would rather use chicken breasts, that is fine, but keep in mind that the dish may not turn out as juicy.
- Chicken broth
- Cooked and shredded chicken
- Garlic powder
- Butter softened
- Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Shredded Chicken Gravy on Mashed Potatoes:
Step 1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Step 2. Add the sprigs of thyme to the skillet, and then remove them after a minute or so.
Step 3. Whisk the flour into the herb butter, and combine well.
Step 4. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking as you do.
Step 5. Simmer until the gravy thickens.
Step 6. Add in the worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
Step 7. Mix in the chicken, and stir to combine.
Step 8. Serve over prepared mashed potatoes.
Shredded Chicken Gravy on Mashed Potatoes
- 4 C. Chicken broth
- 3 C. Cooked and shredded chicken
- ½ C. Flour
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- 8 Tbsp. Butter softened
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sprigs of thyme to the skillet, and then remove them after a minute or so.
- Whisk the flour into the herb butter, and combine well.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking as you do.
- Simmer until the gravy thickens.
- Add in the worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
THANKS FOR PINING!
What other ingredients are needed for the gravy?
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Fresh Thyme
How long does the recipe take to make?
This is an easy and flavorful 20-minute recipe! It’s one worth serving during the week when life is a little busier or when you don’t feel like cooking.
What is the best way to shred the chicken?
The fastest way to shred chicken is by putting it in a bowl to a stand mixer. Then, using the paddle attachment, mix on low until the chicken is shredded.
Note: Don’t mix on high, or it will shred too much.
You can also shred the chicken with two forks by pulling the pieces apart gently.
How much gravy should be used for the mashed potatoes?
We highly recommend making homemade gravy. It makes a huge difference in the flavor! All you need is some butter, broth, thyme, flour, seasonings, and Worcestershire. It’s effortless to make.
Is the recipe gluten-free or vegetarian-friendly?
No, this creamed chicken over mashed potatoes isn’t gluten-free or vegetarian. You can use a gluten-free flour mix for the flour to make it gluten-free. However, there isn’t anything you can do to make it vegetarian.
Are there any variations or substitutions that can be made with the recipe?
- Adding some cheese is a great way to add some more flavor. Cheddar is our favorite.
- Mix in a few of your favorite veggies to make it even heartier. We like peas, green beans, corn, celery, and mushrooms.
- Instead of mashed potatoes, try some roasted mini potatoes instead. It’s a different but delicious option!
How should the Shredded Chicken Gravy on Mashed Potatoes be served?
Make a bed of mashed potatoes and pour the chicken and gravy over the top. Or serve them next to each other.
Shredded chicken and mashed potatoes also go well with vegetables like green beans or corn. Don’t forget some warm bread and a fresh green salad, too.