I love waking up in the morning with fourteen stuffed animals tucked behind my bed. Thank you, Jakey.
I love pinning a sequinned pink bow into the soft locks of a pretty little girl. Thank you, Alyssa.
I love gluing pieces of paper to a cardboard poster until midnight whilst a chatty little lady tells me about all the “weirdo” boys at school. Thank you, Becca.
I love sitting in a Saturday night movie when the handsome guy next to me lifts the armrest and motions me into the nook of his arm. Thank you, Hubby.
I love when our family is packing up and saying thank you to our gracious dinner hosts and a certain tweenager bursts out with a boisterous, “That food was AMAZING, Mayzie. THANK YOU!”
I love feeling like I’ve taught my children to be grateful.
I love when the tween in question finishes up his compliment with, “It’s sooo nice to eat normal food for a change.”
Thank you, Andrew. I love that you eat my food.
Even when it’s beet soup for breakfast.
Roasted Beet Soup
- 4 red beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable Stock
- Fresh thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 ounces of crumbled goat cheese or ¼ cup of sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Clean beets and trim the greens from the bulbs. Slice the beets in half and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Clean the shallot similarly, slicing off the two ends of the shallt and removing any papery skin. Slice the shallot into fourths and place alongside beets. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt and pepper.
- Roast in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until the beets are soft and tender when poked with a fork.
- Remove the beets from the oven and allow to cool slightly before scooping the soft flesh from the skin and placing into a blender. Add the roasted shallot, vegetable stock, and fresh thyme. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a small pot, heat until steaming. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with crumbled goat cheese or sour cream.
Leave a Reply