Hey there! Today, we are focusing on a breakfast recipe that is easy, delicious, and serves the whole family! Doesn’t that sound amazing? A recipe you can make ahead of time, heat up and serve hot while all the little ones scramble around trying to get ready for the day.
Make-Ahead Sausage Casserole is truly a life-saver when it comes to recipes. Kids can be picky and making sure everyone eats healthy in the morning is a struggle for parents all over the world.
This recipe has layers and levels of dimension and flavor. Begin with a layer of golden brown hashbrowns that have a crispy crust but a soft and creamy center. Top with sausage, cheese, and green chilis for some heat; and your egg mixture is the glue that holds this delicious casserole all together.
Make the night before and that way you can just pop the entire casserole dish in the oven the next morning while you get yourself ready for the day. Slice and serve couldn’t be made any easier with this Make-Ahead Sausage Casserole.
Perfect for lazy weekends, hosting brunch, having family in town, or a kid’s sleepover. Breakfast for dinner? Yes please! Change it up and serve this for dinner in between your routine recipes for a pop of flavor during the week.
Is this recipe spicy?
The addition of the green chilis does bring the heat! The amount listed in the ingredients adds a small kick but nothing that anyone can’t handle. If you want to ensure your children eat it you can substitute for peppers instead. Like a little more heat from your food? Add more green chilies to the mix. Make sure to taste before you serve.
Here is all you need to make this recipe at home!
2 lbs. Ground breakfast sausage
2 lbs. Frozen hashbrown potatoes
2 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
9 large eggs
2 C. Milk
1 Can diced green chilis drained (to taste)
1 tsp. Garlic powder
½ tsp. Onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Let’s start baking your Make-Ahead Sausage Hashbrown
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Saute the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat on the stove until completely browned. Remove and set aside.
In the same skillet, heat the hashbrowns until lightly browned and mostly defrosted about 8-10 minutes.
Layer the hashbrowns on the bottom of a 9×13 greased casserole dish.
Add the sausage on top of the hashbrowns.
Sprinkle the cheese over the meat, and add the green chilis on top of the cheese.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine well.
Pour the egg mixture over the casserole.
Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until the eggs are completely set.
Serve warm and enjoy!
What would you serve with this?
- 2 lbs. Ground breakfast sausage
- 2 lbs. Frozen hashbrown potatoes
- 2 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
- 9 Large eggs
- 2 C. Milk
- 1 Can diced green chilis drained
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the sausage in a skillet over medium high heat on the stove until completely browned. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the hashbrowns until lightly browned and mostly defrosted, about 8-10 minutes.
- Layer the hashbrowns in the bottom of a 9x13 greased casserole dish.
- Add the sausage on top of the hashbrowns.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the meat, and add the green chilis on top of the cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until the eggs are completely set.