Bacon-Wrapped Brats with Beer Cheese Sauce are going to become your go-to appetizer for game days, parties, and any other occasion calling for indulgent snacks.
Brats and Beer, what’s not to love. These Bacon Wrapped Bratwursts with Beer Cheese Sauce will for sure be a party favorite in your house. The men and kids will love this flavor combination and they are super simple and easy to make. Great for appetizers or snacks when sitting watching the big game or just simply hanging with your family and friends.
You don’t have to be a beer connoisseur to love a good beer cheese sauce with bacon-wrapped brats. Actually, we are suggesting a light flavor (low carb) beer that will just give you the flavor but not all the calories or carbs. I used my favorite beer, which has only 2.9 carbs per serving, but you are welcome to substitute with any beer you’d like. We use only a small amount in this beer cheese recipe, so any beer under 3 or so carbs will work perfectly. Just remember the beer you use will slightly alter the flavor. Experiment until you find your favorite flavor profile.
You have a few options for serving these bacon-wrapped bratwursts – eating them whole as they are as the main entree of a meal, serving them on your favorite bread, or, as I typically do, cutting them into bite-sized pieces. I usually choose the third option and serve them with toothpicks for easy grab-and-go snacking at parties.
Whether serving them for game day, at a family party, or any other occasion, these Bacon Wrapped Bratwursts with Cheese Sauce are sure to be a hit!
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Brats with Beer Cheese Sauce:
Step One: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Step Two: Wrap each bratwurst with bacon. It usually takes 2 slices to wrap each sausage.
Step Three: Put each bacon-wrapped brat on the top of a baking rack, which should be placed on top of a baking sheet to collect all of the fat from the bacon. Placing them on the baking rack instead of directly on the baking sheet will stop burning and make these snacks crispier.
Step Four: While the brats are baking, begin making the cheese sauce. Melt 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a skillet, then add ½ cup of heavy whipping cream.
Step Five: Whisk in 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and pepper to taste.
Step Six: Mix in 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, and whisk constantly until it is well combined
Step Seven:: Pour in ⅓ cup of low carb beer. I used Michelob Ultra, which has only 2.8 net carbs per serving, and a full serving is not used in this recipe. You may substitute any low carb beer of your choosing.
Step Eight: Stir in 2 cups of melted cheddar cheese.
Step Nine: Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer beer cheese sauce while bratwursts continue to cook.
NOTE: Whisk the mixture occasionally being sure to scrape the bottom on the skillet so the sauce does not burn.
Step Ten: Serve the bratwursts on friendly bread or sliced into pieces that make them easy to dip into the cheese sauce and enjoy!
Can I Use Something Other Than Beer in My Cheese Sauce?
If you do not like the beer flavor or do not want to cook with beer, you can substitute chicken or vegetable broth in place of the beer. The flavor may be slightly different but still good all the same.
What Type of Brats Should I Use in The Beer Brats?
Brats (bratwursts) are a type of German sausage that is most often made of veal, beef, or pork. Today most often you find them made of pork. They make for a flavorful snack. You can substitute chicken or turkey sausage for these brats. You just want to make sure for this recipe that there is NO SUGAR added to the brat or sausage you choose.
Can You Freeze the Beer Cheese Sauce?
Yes, you can freeze the beer cheese sauce up to one month. You will want to thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating it in the microwave or the stovetop.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 6 Bratwurst with no sugar listed in the ingredients
- 12 Slices of bacon with no sugar added
- 3 tbsp. Butter unsalted
- ½ c. Heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. Cream cheese
- ⅓ c. Low carb beer like Michelob Ultra
- 2 c. Shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap each bratwurst with two slices of bacon, covering the entire length of the sausage.
- Place the bacon wrapped brats on top of a baking rack that has been placed inside a baking sheet, and cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- While the brats are baking, add 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter to a skillet over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add ½ cup of heavy whipping cream.
- Whisk in 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and pepper to taste.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, and whisk constantly until it is well combined.
- Pour in ⅓ cup of low carb beer. Michelob Ultra has only 2.8 net carbs per serving, and a full serving is not used in this recipe.
- Add in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Whisk the mixture until well combined.
- Turn the sauce down to low and simmer to thicken while the brats finish cooking. Whisk the mixture once in a while being sure to scrape the bottom so the sauce does not burn.
- Serve the brats on keto friendly bread or sliced into pieces that makes them easy to dip into the cheese sauce and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 714Total Fat 61gSaturated Fat 28gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 28gCholesterol 167mgSodium 1380mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 29g