Whether you enjoy them as breakfast, dessert or a snack, these Keto Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins will win over the entire family!
We have an ongoing debate in our house on whether keto muffins are breakfast or dessert. My kids and husband are Team Breakfast but I’m not convinced something that tastes like dessert counts as breakfast – maybe exceptions can be made for banana muffins or others that actually contain breakfast food.
But while I may not be convinced they’re meant for breakfast, even I can’t get enough of these Keto Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins! They are so addictive – I even joined my kids in having one for breakfast the other day. It paired so perfectly with my morning coffee.
These are keto double chocolate chip muffins – the base is chocolate in addition to the chocolate chips.
Why add chocolate chips to chocolate? For melty, gooey goodness! Plus not all chocolate tastes the same so you get TWO delicious chocolate flavors in one keto muffin.
The most important thing in making these keto chocolate muffins is ensuring that the chocolate chips are low carb. My favorite brand is Lily’s – I always keep a bag or two of Lily’s baking chips in the pantry for whenever the baking mood strikes.
This recipe makes just six Keto Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins so feel free to double or triple it. I almost always do!
If you’re a believer in muffins for breakfast, keto double chocolate chip muffins make an ideal breakfast on the go. They store in the fridge for up to a week, so they’re ideal for busy mornings. You can grab one and go, even eating it in the car if you’re short on time.
Personally, I prefer to enjoy a keto muffin later in the day. These pair perfectly with an afternoon coffee or serve with a scoop of ice cream for dessert. Tip: If you’re not eating fresh out of the oven, trying warming these up in the microwave before eating.
If you, like me, find yourself unknowingly signed up for some bake sale fundraiser, I can say from personal experience that keto chocolate muffins will be a hit. They’ll likely be the only keto dessert available, which will likely work in your favor, and even those who don’t follow keto will love these.
Whether you enjoy Keto Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins for breakfast or dessert, it’s a recipe you’re sure to make over and over!
How To Make Keto Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins:
Step 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2. In a bowl, beat melted butter and Swerve sugar substitute until smooth and creamy.
Step 3. Add beaten egg, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine well.
Step 4. Mix in dry ingredients – almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and xanthan gum. Combine all ingredients well.
Step 5. Fold in chocolate baking chips.
Step 6. Fill into muffin liners, approximately ¾ of the way full.
Step 7. Let cool and serve immediately.
What variations can I make to Keto Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins?
If you have a preferred sugar substitute besides Swerve or a different brand of keto chocolate chips, go ahead and switch those out. Any other changes will get away from the chocolate theme but you could change the chocolate chips out for white chocolate chips, if you want to get creative.
Can I store these keto double chocolate chip muffins?
Absolutely. You can store keto muffins in the fridge for up to a week. They make a perfect grab-and-go snack or breakfast. I like to heat them up in the microwave for a few seconds before eating. You can also easily freeze these keto chocolate muffins. Then you can just pull them out and defrost when the sweet tooth hits!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Keto Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 tbsp Butter melted
- ¼ c Swerve confectioners sugar substitute
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 c Almond flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp Xanthan gum
- 55 grams Lily’s Chocolate baking chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the melted butter and ¼ cup of Swerve sugar substitute to a mixing bowl, and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Pour in the beaten egg, 3 tbsp of almond milk and 2 tsp of vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Mix in 1 cup of almond flour, the baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and xanthan gum. Stir until completely combined.
- Fold in the Lily’s baking chips.
- Fill 6 muffin liners in a muffin baking tin about ¾ of the way full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
- Let cool and serve immediately, or store in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container.
Don’t Miss These Other Keto Muffin Recipes:
- Keto Blackberry Muffins – They are a quick, easy, satisfying items to grab on the run for busy families.
- Keto Ham and Egg Roll Ups – A low carb breakfast burrito alternative that can be whipped up in just a few minutes and even prepped ahead!
- Keto Avocado Egg Salad – A nutritious, low carb keto egg salad. Serve on lettuce wraps for a light, healthy lunch!