Several weeks ago I tucked myself onto a plane and headed to Virginia to meet up with the folks at Sabra Hummus. They’d invited me to their neck of the woods for a tour of the factory, and a peek inside their company headquarters and, seeing as how I love Sabra already, I was more than happy to oblige.
Once I returned home from the trip, I got myself on a serious hummus kick. While visiting the Sabra Headquarters, we were treated to a taste test opportunity, where we licked a spoonful of fresh chickpeas, then a spoonful of unadulterated tahini, then a scoop of Sabra hummus, fresh off the mixing line. I don’t think I’d ever considered how entirely I love hummus until that moment. The creaminess of the flavor. The perfect combination of texture and flavor. That savory, rich, buttery goodness that happens when you combine the most basic of ingredients.
Only, here’s the thing. Sabra doesn’t just combine basic ingredients. They combine the best ingredients. Carefully chosen chickpeas, tahini, garlic. The company began making their product in small batches, and though their factory operations have expanded the output, each batch is still impeccably prepared. It’s a happy thing, that hummus.
Upon returning home, I filled my fridge with Sabra hummus, salsa, guac. I wanted it all sitting there just in case inspiration struck. Sure enough, while feeding the troves of fellow evacuees during last month’s canyon fire, I had all the right ingredients to create a simple, quick, absurdly delicious Hummus Pizza.
With a rich base of perfectly flavored Sabra Hummus, tons of fresh veggies, the quick smoosh of a prepared pizza crust, and an incredible Basil-Jalapeno Drizzle, this recipe is one you’ll return to again and again.
Not unlike my plans for those containers of Sabra awaiting me at the grocery store. I shall be back, dear hummus. Oh, yes indeed, I shall!
Garden Hummus Pizza
- 1 premade pie crust cooked until golden and then cooled
- 1 1/2 cups SABRA Hummus
- 1 cup chopped sweet red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup cucumbers diced
- 1 can black olives drained
- 1/2 cup purple onions
- 3 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley loosely packed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil loosely packed
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 " piece of fresh jalapeno deseeded
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Spread hummus on top of the cooked, cooled pizza crust. Depending on the size of your pizza crust, you may need to add more hummus. Just make sure you've got a good, 1/4" thick schmear of it all over the base of the crust.
- Top hummus with peppers, cuucmbers, black olives, purple onions, and fresh spinach.
- In a blender or mini food processor, combine the olive oil, parsley, basil, garlic, jalapeno and salt. Puree. Drizzle over the pizza.
- Serve pizza and enjoy!