When I was a little girl, my granddaddy would take me fishing down at the creek. We’d catch all sorts of fish: catfish, bass, perch, and trout. But the best part of the day was when we’d go home and he’d cook up some fried catfish. It was delicious!
Now that I’m all grown up, I still love fried catfish. In fact, it’s one of my favorite dishes. But I don’t have to wait for granddaddy to take me fishing to get a taste; I can make it myself! The recipe is really simple: just coat some catfish fillets in seasoned flour, then fry them in hot oil until they’re golden brown. Serve with tartar sauce and hush puppies, and you’ve got yourself a meal fit for a king (or a queen)!
There’s something about a fried catfish dinner that just feels like home. Maybe it’s the crispy, golden batter that coats each tender piece of fish. Or maybe it’s the way the seasoning mix bursts with flavor in your mouth.
Whatever it is, this recipe is sure to please everyone at your table!
Catfish is a delicious, underrated fish that is perfect for frying. This recipe is easy to follow and will leave you with a crispy, golden catfish fillet that your whole family will love. So why not try it out tonight? Head to the grocery store and pick up some catfish and get started on this mouth-watering meal. We promise you won’t be disappointed!
- Catfish filets
- Cajun spice
- Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
- Frying oil
How to make Fried Catfish
In a large bowl add the fish filets and cover in the buttermilk.
Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
In a large bowl add the flour, cornmeal, cajun spice, garlic powder, and pepper.
Whisk to combine.
In large frying, the skillet adds the oil and heat over medium to high heat.
Remove the catfish from the buttermilk and set it on a tray to the side.
Dip each catfish into the cornmeal mixture
Flip to coat evenly.
Place the coated catfish into the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Remove the heat and place it on a paper towel-covered plate to allow the excess oil to drain.
Repeat with all of the filets.
If you’re in the mood for some good ole fashioned comfort food, look no further than this fried catfish recipe. This dish is perfect for a weekend family dinner or for feeding a large crowd.
So grab your ingredients and let’s get cooking!
Fried Catfish Recipe
- 6 pds. Catfish filets bones removed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. Cajun spice
- 2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 2 tsp. Ground black pepper
- 4 cups Frying oil
- In a large bowl add the fish filets and cover in the buttermilk.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl add the flour, cornmeal, cajun spice, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
- In large frying, the skillet adds the oil and heat over medium to high heat.
- Remove the catfish from the buttermilk and set it on a tray to the side.
- Dip each catfish into the cornmeal mixture and flip to coat evenly.
- Place the coated catfish into the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove the heat and place it on a paper towel-covered plate to allow the excess oil to drain.
- Repeat with all of the filets.