I love turtles. I love caramel. So when I discovered that there was a cake out there with both of these things, I knew I had to try it!
This Turtle Caramel Cake is a dessert that you can’t wait to sink your teeth into. It has all the best parts of a turtle – rich chocolate, gooey caramel, and crunchy pecans.
The cake is dense and moist, with a thick layer of chocolate fudge frosting on top. The frosting also contains chopped pecans and chocolate chips for added texture and flavor. This dessert has been around for decades but it has never been more popular than now. It’s a perfect dessert for the holidays or any other occasion. Turtle Caramel Cake is so delicious! It’s rich and decadent, but not too sweet – just right in my opinion! This is the perfect dessert to enjoy after dinner or as an indulgent breakfast treat on weekends.
Turtle Caramel Cake is so rich, that you will want a glass of ice-cold milk right next to you to wash it down.
What is Turtle Caramel Cake?
Turtle Caramel Cake is a type of chocolate cake that has a layer of caramel and a layer of pecans on top. It’s a popular dessert in the United States. Traditionally, it is drizzled with chocolate ganache but we wanted to make this recipe as simple for you as possible! If you want to make your own ganache then you certainly can. Ganache has more of a rich and robust flavor so it definitely adds a level of intensity to this cake.
If I don’t like Caramel, can I substitute it for another flavor?
Caramel is definitely not a fan fave with everyone so if you prefer to use butterscotch, toffee, white, or milk chocolate chips then go for it! It will not affect the texture but will definitely make this cake irresistible to your taste buds.
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 C chopped pecans
¾ C unsalted sweet cream butter, melted
½ C evaporated milk
1 – 11oz caramel bits
1 box German chocolate cake mix
1 C whole milk
3 large eggs
⅓ C canola oil
1 container of chocolate fudge frosting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with Pam baking spray.
Using a hand mixer, beat the cake mix, oil, eggs, and milk together until combined and smooth.
Pour half of the cake batter into the baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven once baked.
Using a saucepan, combine the caramel bits, butter, and evaporated milk and bring to medium heat.
Mix caramel mixture until melted and smooth.
Pour over the baked cake.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips and pecans over the caramel topping and cake.
Pour the remaining cake batter on top of the caramel mixture and place it back into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
Allow cooling completely.
Once cooled, soften up the chocolate fudge frosting and spread evenly.
Sprinkle with more chocolate chips and pecans.
Serve and Enjoy!
Turtle Caramel Cake
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 C chopped pecans
- ¾ C unsalted sweet cream butter melted
- ½ C evaporated milk
- 1 - 11 oz caramel bits
- 1 Box german chocolate cake mix
- 1 C whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ C canola oil
- 1 container of chocolate fudge frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with pam baking spray
- Using a hand mixer, beat the cake mix, oil, eggs and milk together until combined and smooth
- Pour half of the cake batter into the baking dish and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven once baked
- Using a saucepan, combine the caramel bits, butter, and evaporated milk and bring to a medium heat
- Mix caramel mixture until melted and smooth
- Pour over the baked cake
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and pecans over the caramel topping and cake
- Pour remaining cake batter on top of the caramel mixture and place back into the oven to bake for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool completely
- Once cooled, soften up the chocolate fudge frosting and spread evenly
- Sprinkle with more chocolate chips and pecans