If you are looking for a super easy meal that will make your family and dinner guests think you spent all day in the kitchen, you have found what you are looking for. This Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Gravy recipe is perfect to prep before work, add to your crock pot on low temperature and come home and presto!! You have a meal that will make people believe you spent hours cooking away.
The Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs will remind you of something that your grandma used to make for Sunday dinner with the whole family and indeed did spend hours in the kitchen preparing this meal for her hungry family. There’s just something about this rib recipe that screams “Sunday family dinner”, no matter what day of the week it is cooked.
It will melt in your mouth and keep your taste buds wanting more. The gravy adds a nice addition and gives it a creamy consistency that will enhance the short rib flavor. Speaking of short rib flavor, this rib recipe is PACKED with flavor, thanks to the many hours it spending in the slow cooker.
Your family will ask for this to be a staple recipe on your family menu rotation. Look no further because you just found the definition of comfort food. These Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs will be nothing but tender and falling apart and the gravy adding so much flavor your mouth will water just looking at it. You can pair this with all your favorite vegetables to keep in tune with your lifestyle.
How to Make Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Gravy:
Step One: In a skillet over medium-high heat, Add 1 TBSP of Olive Oil
Step Two: Sear all the side of the boneless short ribs adding salt and pepper to your taste to the meat.
Step Three: Add the seared short ribs to the slow cooker pot.
Step Four: Add in a mixing bowl, 2 TBSP of Dijon Mustard, 1 TBSP tomato paste, 2 tsp of fresh chopped thyme, and 3 tsp of beef bouillon powder
Step Five: Add 1 cup of red wine to the mixing bowl and whisk together all the ingredients until blended well.
Step Six: To the slow cooker, add 2 whole bay leaves and pour over the seared short ribs in the slow cooker the red wine mixture and set the slow cooker on low with lid securely in place.
Step Seven: Allow ribs to cook for 8 hours on low heat.
Note: Cooking the ribs at a low temperature is best for this recipe. You can set the temperature higher for a shorter cooking time, but your short ribs may not be as tender as you would like.
Step Eight: Remove the short ribs from the slow cooker and pour all the cooking juices into a skillet over medium heat.
Step Nine: Add ½ cup of heavy whipping cream to the skillet and whisk together with short rib juices until well combined.
Step Ten: Increase the heat on the skillet until the sauces begins to boil, simmer on medium heat until the gravy thickens to your desired thickness.
Step Eleven: Serve Short Ribs with Gravy! Bon Appetit!!
Can I Use Bone in Ribs for This Braised Short Rib Recipe?
Yes, you can use other cuts of ribs. The cooking times may vary slightly, and you will want to cut them into manageable sized pieces for your slow cooker to get the best results.
How Long Can I Store These Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Gravy?
You can store these Short Ribs for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or you freeze them for up to one month in a sealed container in the freezer. You will want to thaw completely in the refrigerator before reheating the ribs to serve.
What Should I Serve These Slow Cooker Ribs With?
My absolutely favorite thing to serve these Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs and Gravy with is the mashed cauliflower potatoes. The side items that I often crave and pair with this recipe are brussel sprouts (like these Brussel Sprouts in Pecan Butter), broccoli, and asparagus! You get your protein and veggies all in one meal!
Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs with Gravy
- 2-3 lbs. Boneless short ribs
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Large onion chopped
- 2 Bay leaves whole
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp Beef bouillon powder
- 2 tsp Chopped fresh thyme
- 1 c Red cooking wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c. Heavy whipping cream
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste to the meat, and sear the boneless short ribs on all sides. Place them into the bottom of a slow cooker pot when you have finished.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp of dijon mustard.
- Add in 1 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme and 3 tsp of beef bouillon powder.
- Pour in 1 cup of red wine, and whisk all of the ingredients together well.
- Place two whole bay leaves in the slow cooker.
- Pour the red wine mixture over top of the meat, place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on low heat for 8 hours. For this recipe, low temperature is best. You may be able to substitute a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time, but your meat may not be as tender.
- Once finished, remove the meat from the slow cooker, and pour the juices into a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour in ½ cup of heavy whipping cream, and whisk the sauce well.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium again. Cook down until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.