Casseroles are most often referred to as comfort food for the family. I tend to agree. Everyone loves a good casserole, but this Keto French Onion Chicken Casserole will be on your short list of favorites. It will make you feel like you are cheating on your low-carb, keto diet when you are not. The bonus is that is super simple and fast to make, so you won’t feel like you had to slave away to give your family a meal they will love.
One of my challenges while on the keto diet, is making my family feel like they are not being punished because the adults are on the low-carb diet. This recipe will make them think you are pampering them while sticking to your diet. This French Onion Chicken Casserole is a win win for everyone, and did I mention it is delicious, nutritional, and fast and easy to make.
I have also found some great ways of kicking up this casserole. I love to add small pieces of broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms to this recipe to give it some additional nutritional value with the veggies. It is also a great way to get your kids their vegetables and them not even blinking an eye about it. I like to steam them and cut them into small pieces then adding them to the chicken mixture before baking. It is a great addition!
Keto Approved French Onion Chicken Casserole Recipe
How do I caramelize onions for french onion chicken?
When you are making this french onion chicken, you will want to caramelize the onions. This gives the best flavor and is a key step in making this casserole. Caramelizing onions is very easy to do but it takes time. When you put the onions into the pot on sautee you will want to cook them slowly for about 15 minutes. The onions will become a beautiful brown color. As they caramelize, the flavors become condensed and stronger but it also becomes sweet.
Can I freeze this french onion soup chicken recipe?
If you have extras of this french onion soup chicken recipe, you might want to move it to the freezer. Sometimes, it is hard to find a keto meal that you can have quickly. Whether you are freezing this meal to save the leftovers before it goes bad or you are freezing it to have fast easy meals that you can microwave, this recipe is great to put in the freezer.
You can freeze this casserole as a whole meal or you can separate it into small servings so that you can take a single-serve meal out at a time. Use airtight containers or freezer bags to store this meal in the freezer.
With a keto-friendly dinner like this, you will never feel like you are missing out of your favorite meals. Get all the flavors of classic French onion soup with this tender chicken casserole.
Ingredients for this chicken casserole
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- dry onion soup mix
- Chicken broth
- onion thinly sliced
- White cooking wine
- Beef broth
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- swiss cheese
- Crushed pork rind crumbs
How to make french onion chicken casserole
Place the chicken, chicken broth and 1 packet of onion soup mix into the Instant pot.
Seal the Instant pot, and set to 20 minutes. Let it slow release, and then remove the chicken and shred it with a fork. If you want to cut down on the prep time, or do not have an Instant Pot, you can use any shredded chicken or even a rotisserie chicken if you like.
Heat 2 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
Add the sliced onion, and cook down for 15 minutes slowly.
Pour in 2 tbsp of white cooking wine, and cook down until almost completely absorbed.
Mix in 2 tsp minced garlic, oregano, thyme and beef broth. Cook down for several more minutes.
Line the bottom of a greased baking dish with the shredded chicken.
Pour the onion mixture over the shredded chicken, and smooth it out evenly.
Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the chicken.
Place 6 slices of swiss cheese on top of the chicken in an even layer.
Bake the mixture for 10 minutes, remove and top with the pork rind crumbs.
Cook for an additional 5 minutes, remove and serve with your favorite keto-friendly sides.
What Variations Can You Do to This Chicken Casserole?
Some of my favorite variations to this keto chicken casserole are to add mushrooms to the onion mixture to give it a slightly different flavor. I also like to add broccoli to the onion mixture. You can also wilt some spinach and add a layer of wilted spinach under the cheese to give it some added nutrition.
Can I Use Other Types of Meat with This Keto Casserole?
Yes, I love to substitute pulled pork for the chicken in this recipe. You can also use other types of chicken such as breast meat instead of chicken thighs. I also have made this with pulled turkey breast. It is great for Thanksgiving leftovers.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Keto French Onion Chicken Casserole Recipe
To make the shredded chicken:
- 2 lbs Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 c Chicken broth
To prepare the casserole:
- 1 Medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Butter unsalted
- 2 tbsp White cooking wine
- 2 tsp Minced garlic
- ½ tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Thyme
- ½ c Beef broth
- 1 c Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 Slices swiss cheese
- 1 oz. Crushed pork rind crumbs
- Place the chicken, chicken broth and 1 packet of onion soup mix into the Instant pot.
- Seal the Instant pot, and set to 20 minutes. Let it slow release, and then remove the chicken and shred it with a fork. If you want to cut down on the prep time, or do not have an Instant Pot, you can use any shredded chicken or even a rotisserie chicken if you like.
- Heat 2 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion, and cook down for 15 minutes slowly.
- Pour in 2 tbsp of white cooking wine, and cook down until almost completely absorbed.
- Mix in 2 tsp minced garlic, oregano, thyme and beef broth. Cook down for several more minutes.
- Line the bottom of a greased baking dish with the shredded chicken.
- Pour the onion mixture over the shredded chicken, and smooth it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the chicken.
- Place 6 slices of swiss cheese on top of the chicken in an even layer.
- Bake the mixture for 10 minutes, remove and top with the pork rind crumbs. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, remove, and serve with your favorite keto-friendly sides.
More Keto Recipes ideas
If you love this Keto French Onion Chicken Casserole Recipe as much as I do, I am confident you will want some of these easy dinner options too. Take a look and let us know which ones you like best.
- Easy Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – If you love chicken cordon bleu, you need this casserole in your life. Its incredible flavor is hard to beat, and it’s so easy too.
- The Best Keto Breakfast Casserole Recipes for Ketogenic Diet – Casseroles aren’t just for dinner! There are some drool-worthy breakfast casseroles out there too.
- 20 Keto Friendly Casseroles For Busy Nights – This list of keto casseroles are sure to have your mouth watering by the end of it. They are so amazing and don’t take tons of effort either. Win-Win!
- Keto Creamy Cauliflower Chicken Casserole – We love all sorts of chicken casseroles at our house. The combination of cauliflower and chicken is out of this world. Trust me; you are going to want to try this one.