When a mother makes Beet Soup, she must use her wiles to lure a table full of children into eating the meal. A clever mother knows there is tremendous nutrition value in beet soup, so she’s willing to let her painstaking health values slip ever so slightly with the rest of the menu.
So she whips up a quick batch of white flour into soft, warm breadsticks.
She douses them with melted garlic butter. The serves them willy nilly, with Beet Soup hidden beneath.
And thus the kids eat Beet Soup. (And a stick of butter.) But, that’s entirely beside the point.
Easy Garlic Butter Breadsticks
- 1 packet yeast
- 2 cups very warm water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Add the warm water to a large, glass bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top, then the sugar. Stir slightly and allow to sit for 15 minutes. (The mixture in the bowl should now be foamy. If it's not, you might want to start over. Your yeast could be bad, or the water not hot enough to activate the yeast).
- Stir the flour into the mixture one half-cup at a time, adding just enough to make the mixture soft, pliable and not too sticky, but not so floured that it becomes a heavy hunk. Knead it until the dough becomes elastic.
- Pull a round of dough into your hands (about the size of a small apple). Roll it into a long, thin rope, fold it in half, then twist the two sides around each other to form a 4-5 inch long breadstick twist. Place on a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment paper. Once all of the dough in twisted, you can bake it right away (if you're in a hurry), or allow your breadsticks to rise for 15-30 additional minutes (doing so will yeild softer, lighter breadsticks).
- Place breadsticks in the preheated oven, allow them to cook for 5 minutes, then turn the heat up to 400 degrees and bake them until golden brown, about 7-10 minutes more.
- As soon as you remove your breadsticks from the oven, mix together the melted butter, garlic powder, sea salt, and grated parmesan. Drizzle oven hot breadsticks. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply