This recipe will transcend you back to your childhood when you enjoyed a candy bar from your local convenience store on a long summer’s day. Grab a glass of milk and enjoy Almond Joy Cookies. These cookies have all the fixings of the classic candy. Bits of coconut are infused in these cookies with almond, vanilla, and chocolate chips.
These cookies have a nice crunch with such sweet flavors bursting through each bite. This takes your grandma’s classic chocolate chip cookie recipe to an entirely new level. Who doesn’t love coconut?!
This recipe creates a perfect way to create lifelong memories with your little ones and hand down your baking experience to the next generation.
What type of chocolate chips did you use in this recipe?
I used Ghiradelli chocolate chips in this recipe for the bold and rich flavors they bring. You can pick these up at your local grocery store. I have used other brands but nothing compares to the robust and bitter chocolate flavors of Ghiradelli.
Where do I find toasted Almonds?
You can certainly buy these from your local store or you can do this at home. Just simply place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes.
Do I use sweetened or unsweetened coconut?
This recipe uses sweetened coconut flakes but you can use either. With the added sugar, vanilla, almond, and chocolate chips you don’t need too much added sugar.
Can I substitute the milk chocolate chips?
You certainly can! Whether you want more bitter chocolate like that found in dark chocolate or more of a vanilla and smooth flavor like found in white chocolate. You could even try using peanut butter or caramel chips if you are not a huge chocolate fan.
Here is what you need to make these Almond Joy Cookies
2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (or unsweetened)
2 cups chocolate chips
1 ½ cups lightly salted, dry roasted almonds, finely chopped
Let’s walk through how you can create Almond Joy Cookies right in your own kitchen.
First, make sure to line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them to the side.
Turn the oven to 300 degrees F while mixing your ingredients.
In a small bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
Grab your stand mixer and use your paddle attachment for this portion.
Cream your butter and sugars together until the consistency is fluffy (about 3 minutes of mixing).
Now, add in the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract.
Finally, stir in the flour mixture from the small bowl until all ingredients are just combined.
Fold in your coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and toasted almonds until incorporated.
Using a spoon, place batter in circles on your baking sheets leaving 2 inches between each of them.
Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Happy Baking friends!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups lightly salted, dry roasted almonds, finely chopped
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper while heating up your oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in the coconut, chocolate chips, and almonds and stir until just incorporated.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons on prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until set.