Did someone say, “old clothes”? Translated from Spanish, Ropa Vieja doesn’t sound that appealing as a dinner dish, but this authentic Cuban dish is chopped full of flavor and become a favored staple of Cuba but originated in Spain and now traveled with the Spanish culture to North America. We have our own spin on this dish known as beef stew, but you will absolutely love this Cuban version.
Whether you cook this Keto Ropa Vieja dish on a cold winter’s day or at the dead of summer, it will fill your insides with a warm satisfying flavor that the whole family will love. This hardy dish is so simple to throw together, but it will make your guests feel like you slaved all day. I am sure it will become a staple on your family’s table too.
This naturally keto stew recipe is easy to spice up with some toppings and condiments….keeping it Cuban you can serve it with cauliflower rice and but I like to spritz some lime and serve with chopped jalapenos, scallions, sour cream, and guacamole. You can also serve it just straight up in a bowl with a sprinkle of cilantro. However, you choose you will not be disappointed.
How To Make Keto Ropa Vieja:
Step One: In an instant pot over set to sauté, add 2 TBSP of coconut oil
Step Two: Cutting the skirt steak so it fits nicely into the instant pot. Salt and Pepper the steak to your taste.
Step Three: Using the instant pot, sear the skirt steak on both sides. Remove steak from the instant pot.
Step Four: Sauté the onions and peppers in the instant pot until begin to become tender then add the steak, water, bay leaves, and garlic to the vegetable mixture.
Step Five: Place the lid on the instant pot with the valve closed and cook on high for 13 minutes – after the cooking time is completed do a quick release on the instant pot.
Step Six: Carefully remove the steak from the instant pot and shred it with two forks.
Step Seven: Remove and set aside the vegetables from the instant pot with a slotted spoon.
Step Eight: In a large skillet, add 2 TBSP of coconut oil and heat.
Step Nine: Place the shredded steak and vegetables to the heated skillet and add 1 tsp of oregano, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1 tsp of cumin. Mixing these spices to the beef and vegetable mixture.
Step Ten: Add ½ cup white cooking wine to the beef mixture, reducing it down until almost completely absorbed.
Step Eleven: Lower the heat and stir in the can of diced tomatoes continuing to simmer the mixture for 15-20 minutes more adding more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with cauliflower rice or toppings of your choosing.
Can I Use Other Methods of Cooking This Keto Ropa Vieja Stew?
The quickest way to cook this Keto Ropa Vieja dish is in an instant pot or pressure cooker, however, you can cook this in a Dutch oven either on the stovetop or oven. The cooking times will vary due to the size and kind of meat you are cooking.
What Can I Serve This Keto Ropa Vieja with?
Cubans serve this dish traditionally with rice and beans. Keeping it Keto, you can serve it with cauliflower rice but skip the beans. I also just like to serve it as a stew in a dish topped with sour cream, cheese, guacamole, and chopped onions.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- ● 2 - 2 ½ lbs. Skirt steak
- ● 4 tbsp. Coconut oil divided
- ● 1 Onion sliced
- ● 1 Bell pepper sliced
- ● 4.5 c. Water
- ● 2 Bay leaves
- ● 4 Cloves garlic minced
- ● Salt and pepper to taste
- ● 1 tsp. Chili powder
- ● 1 tsp. Cumin
- ● 1 tsp. Oregano
- ● ½ c. White cooking wine
- ● 14.5 oz. Can diced tomatoes
- Place 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into the Instant Pot, and turn it to the saute function.
- Cut the skirt steak into wide sections so that they can easily fit into the Instant Pot. Cover the steak with salt and pepper to taste. Sear the steak on both sides, and then remove it and set aside.
- Place the sliced onions and peppers into the Instant Pot, and saute them for several minutes.
- Add the steak, 4.5 cups of water, 2 bay leaves and 4 cloves of garlic into the Instant Pot, put the lid on with the valve closed, and cook on high for 13 minutes.
- Do a quick release, and remove the steak from the Instant Pot. Shred it with a fork and knife. Remove the vegetables from the Instant Pot with a slotted spoon, and set them aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat on the stovetop.
- Once hot, add in the shredded steak and vegetables that you removed from the Instant Pot.
- Add in 1 teaspoon each of oregano, chili powder and cumin, and stir to combine.
- Pour in ½ cup of white cooking wine, and cook until reduced almost completely.
- Mix in one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, stir to combine and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Serve alone or over a bed of cauliflower rice.